TechSun

Thoughts, ramblings, peeves, and guilty pleasures. ΕΙΣ ΓΑΡ ΘΕΟΣ ΕΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΜΕΣΙΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ (1 Timothy 2:5)

Friday, December 09, 2005

Bah Humbug

Santa vs. Truth

I don't think I truly every really believed in Santa Claus. That may be the reason I don't really support the Christmas lie we tell to our children.

I do remember spying on my father carefully placing Christmas presents out by the fireplace, or listening to him try to figure out how to put a bicycle together in the middle of the night (he wound up putting the front forks on backwards). All this in an attempt to keep the myth alive. I can appreciate the attempt, but don't think I was ever a believer. Fantasy is fun even if you know its a fantasy.

Now that I have children of my own the debate arises every year. Should we or shouldn't we? My 7 year old actually came out and asked point blank this year "Is Santa Claus real?". This creates another level onto this controversy. If he asks directly what do we say?

We have an agreement in my house. All Santa questions are directed to my lovely bride. My tongue as bite marks throughout the Christmas season as more and more questions come up. I will neither confirm nor deny.

This will probably be the last year my oldest will believe in the old guy, but in just a few more years his younger brother will have the opportunity to 'believe'. The conspiracy will need to grow to include one more. My advice to all older siblings....GO AHEAD AND TELL. You'll let good ole dad off the hook.

2 Comments:

  • At 2:32 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said…

    Grumpyclaus!

     
  • At 7:44 AM, Blogger Darv said…

    You could always tell him the stories of the real St. Nicholas off of which Santa is based.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home