TechSun

Thoughts, ramblings, peeves, and guilty pleasures. ΕΙΣ ΓΑΡ ΘΕΟΣ ΕΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΜΕΣΙΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ (1 Timothy 2:5)

Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Style?

I recently visted the website of a local church that calls itself a church of christ. I did a search on Yahoo and their listing even came up as "Non-Traditional Church of Christ"

I thought that was funny so I visited the site.

From what I can tell, this church is very concerned about their perception and style. They are very proud of their drama, multimedia presentations, and contemporary music. I'm sure somewhere in there they talk about the gospel. I just can't find it under all the style.

It sounds like a good place for some entertainment, but I don't see anything about worship. Maybe my bible omitted entertainment from between Spirit and Truth when it talks about worship.

At least now I know what "Non-Traditional Church of Christ" means....no thank you

3 Comments:

  • At 2:41 PM, Blogger mrjadkins said…

    I don't know about this blog post. It sounds like you are the one concerned about "perception and style" but projecting your needs as a criticism of that church.

    There are some really spiritual churches and people out there who don't go to the Church of Christ. I think its a shame when anyone Christian or not puts down anyone for their spiritual beliefs.

    I happen to attend churches that use drama, multimedia, and contemporary music. These do more than just talk about the gospel. And no, they aren't entertainment.

    I guess I am one of those rare breeds who can worship God in distraction. When I sit in a silent church of Christ, I hear music. Praise music. And when I sit in a contemporary worship setting, I can silence it around me to focus as I pray or meditate.

    Just like at work, I am able to focus on God while doing my job - its not the setting or the institution where God reigns!

    So please stop limiting where God resides by choosing stylish websites or "traditional" congregations!!

    Oh and - hello!

     
  • At 6:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I don't have a problem with their preferences. If that is all they are.

    I think it is a problem when style becomes the focus, or how a church identifies themselves.

    Worship in your daily life (latreuo) and worship as an act of reverence (proskuneo) are different acts in scriptures. Matt 4:10 uses both in the greek.

     
  • At 6:28 PM, Blogger Son of Adam said…

    When we find preaching and reading of the Word, the breaking of bread, prayer and the singing of hymns dull and boring, and long for the excitement of a concert, we are longing to satisfy the desires of the flesh, not fulfill the needs of the spirit.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home