TechSun

Thoughts, ramblings, peeves, and guilty pleasures. ΕΙΣ ΓΑΡ ΘΕΟΣ ΕΙΣ ΚΑΙ ΜΕΣΙΤΗΣ ΘΕΟΥ ΚΑΙ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΟΣ ΧΡΙΣΤΟΣ ΙΗΣΟΥΣ (1 Timothy 2:5)

Monday, February 27, 2006

A different perspective

Yesterday I came across a phrase that has been rolling around in my head. It's from Gary Ezzo who was hosting a discussion on parenting, but I think this message is applicable to many situations.

"Freedom does not speak of one's rights, but one's responsibilities."

In our country we spend a lot of time talking about freedom, but do we really know what it means?

We love freedom, but we hate responsibility. Freedom and responsibility are not things you are given. They are things that you take up. They come together like the two sides of a coin. When you choose to use your freedom, you also are accepting the responsiblity of it.

Of course responsibility then leads to accountability, and that is a whole other issue we as a society fail on.

4 Comments:

  • At 12:57 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said…

    This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

     
  • At 12:58 PM, Blogger bigwhitehat said…

    The phrase hit me too. I think it is totally wrong. Freedom does speak of ones rights. In context,he spoke of freedom being gained by fullfilling ones obligations. That makes the phrase even more wrong. I liked his overall measage but the phrase sucks.

     
  • At 12:59 PM, Blogger Son of Adam said…

    OK, I agree that it alone has challenges.

    I was taking it as with freedom, we ALSO have responsibility.

     
  • At 11:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I wouldn't mind reading these comments if I didn't have to see that ugly mug with the white hat staring me in the face.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home